7 Jun 2009

Junior Highland Games



This was the final parade, the Elgin Pipe Band leading the schools on for the prize giving. I wasn't there for the opening thinking that three hours in the uncertain weather was enough for me. As it happened the weather was perfect, not too hot, not too cold and not at all wet, apart from the area around the fire engine which was drenched from games with the hose. Poor Chloë, who gets cold very easily, found herself helping out at the ice-cream stall and by the time I got there she was looking rather blue. My contribution had been an enormous poppy seed cake (4 x the usual mix which caused this discalculiac multiplication problems and was very heavy to stir!)
The photos aren't very good but I thought I'd better take a few. I missed the most exciting bits according to Sandy, Tossing the Caber (surely they didn't have to toss real telegraph-pole sized ones? It was only the Junior School so all under 13 years.) Hurling the Haggis, ditto the Scots hammer, a tug-of-war and the greasy pole; also a Sea King helicopter dropped in.

Still, there was falconry, Tai Kwon Do, the brilliant Fochabers Fiddlers and a Fèis band, Highland dancing, an obstacle course and more tugs-of-war. Also Strawberries, cream and meringue for a do-it-yourself Eton Mess. And a tea tent in which we spent quite a lot of time it has to be said. We nearly died laughing when I won a round of golf for two on a posh course. I was a bit cheesed off that I didn't win the very nice whisky hamper donated by a local distillery or, for that matter, the £500 cash which would have been VERY welcome. I gave my winnings away to some enthusiasts who I hope will light a candle for me in golfers heaven.

Poor Sanders had to wait in his itchy gear till the very end to do his bit in the clearing up detail - quite a business. I heard several parents of day pupils having to be fierce with their bored off-spring who wanted to escape early. Not acceptable in any case, leaving more for the others, but here almost a sackable offence since the whole ethos of the place is on service to the community, doing ones bit etc. etc.

Strangely enough, when he got into the car to come home he said 'That was quite a good day actually.'

No comments: