5 Oct 2012

It's been a funny old interlude since I last wrote here. Lovely day out on Sunday, taking in Cullen which whilst I wasn't looking has turned itself into an Antiques Town. Happily an old friend from book-trading days is still there in his delightful little bijou boutique selling books, bric-a-brac, the occasional real antique and plenty of jewellery to entice the ladies, some of which he makes up himself. I, ladylike, couldn't resist another pair of ear-rings and a necklace with elephants. My eccentric friend David came along for the ride and we had a delicious carvery en route. D never cooks for himself, survives on Tesco's finest and green smoothies so he does like one square meal a week and usually has two puddings. This day we had been told of a proper 'Tea Room' that opened fairly recently and managed to find it though I was surprised there was anyone there because it's very poorly signposted and definitely off the main track. tea was served in real pots with a strainer and taken in pretty little cups like my mother bright out for visitors. There was also a quite exotic choice of blend for this part of the world. I had Russian Caravan tea, very light and aromatic, not tall how it sounds, (black, gritty and oily with sweat from the horses backs... ) It's ages since I last tasted it, in Brussels I think, so that's over 25 years ago...  Wonderful cake too. Probably the last I'll eat... more of that later....

When we got back into the car D proclaimed himself sad. Why? 'Because this lovely outing is coming to an end.' I was touched.



Around this brief one-day idyll were wrapped various visits to the Health Centre for  routine blood tests and a quicky with the doc because I thought my heart had been behaving funnily. He listened, pronounced atrial fibrillation, I envisaged stents and such nastiness, then I got an ECG which showed only normal pounding. Phew! However, when the results of the blood tests came back later in the week I heard that my blood sugars are way up and - oops - that's probably Type 2 diabetes.  What annoys me is that it has probably been caused by all the oral steroids I've had to take in order to breath. There's a name for this which I am about to look up.... Iatrogenic illness, that's the one... More tests to follow. Bleur!



1 comment:

Gillian said...

Sorry, Carol. I've been working my way back and now realise that custard is going to be a very considered dietary item in the future.
The thing is that you probably have a much better and "from start" diet than so many people without additives and excess fats....well at least you don't have to give up those.
Best wishes with the rest of the decisions.
Cheers Gillian