14 Dec 2012

Well, that's it! My last day behind the counter. I waited in vain for the engraved watch and bottle of bubbly and my retirement speech wasn't needed but it still felt like an Occasion. I've sat in that small space for many MANY hours over the last 8 years.

Perhaps in six months time I shall miss the craich but for the moment  I'm relishing my freedom. The next couple of weeks are going to be full of activity so I'll be eased gently into empty days that I have to fill with my own ingenuity/ creativity. There are so many nice things one can do around here but my aim is to use the time to write, not fill it up with writer's groups, art lessons and Toastmasters (although it's tempting because they are a jolly bunch.... I went to their Christmas Dinner where we played 'Call My Bluff'  and my mate J, somewhat in her cups, gave us a rendering of 'Right Said Fred' in a thick Lancashire accent.)

 We shall see.

2 comments:

stitching and opinions said...

Not often we get a chance to change gear, very exciting.

Gillian said...

Martha Quest. Great memories of the reading and also the group of teachers at a meeting in Oz, talking about a lovely boy and wishing that they had a daughter available. We all knew when he was in Year seven that he would be the head boy and gorgeous with it, in Year twelve. We were right.
Relax and write a list later. Hope visiting me is on your list!
Cheers and have a great xmas break.
Gillian