3 Feb 2013

A better class of clientele



I’ve been carrying out an intensive survey of the best cafes in this area, justifying the amount spent in soup, or coffee and scones (plus the terrible price of fuel to get to them of course) by balancing it against the hours the heating can be turned off whilst I’m out of the house.  I think I’ve decided upon my favourite. It has a view of the harbour above, is small, cosy, warm, and does excellent soup and scones. Warmth as in temperature, not just welcoming smiles, is an important requirement this time of year and isn’t always to be found in places offering refreshment sadly; some canny patrons, ready with the recession as an excuse (actually they have always been this way) are mean with the heating. The other star quality this cafe has that sets it above all others is - it welcomes dogs! The first time I went in I was so charmed by sharing floorspace with an elderly Spaniel and a Scotty that I wanted to go out and borrow a dog to have lying at my own feet. They are all extremely well behaved, no fighting or fussing, probably aware of the hitching posts available outside for them on the cold pavement if they misbehave! Today the Scotty was back with his master. There were also two well groomed West Highlands in smart tartan chaskits, and, to my huge surprise, a greyhound unfolded herself gracefully from under a bench when her owner got up to leave. She had been very self-effacing. 

No comments: