10 Aug 2014

Chemistry Experiment.


It’s been a beautiful summer. Mostly. Lots of sunshine, not too hot up this end of the country. Walks on the beach, cafe-sitting, pizza and white wine. Watching little dinghies sporting with the waves, children licking ice-creams.

There was always the underlying unease. Something not quite right. Occasional bouts of faintness, rather too strong for comfort.

Finally, last weekend, after three almost-black-outs in a row, the inevitable trip to A&E  and much monitoring.  So now I have a diagnosis: Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation. Somehow that impressive title does make it less frightening and although the moments of unease haven’t gone away entirely at least they aren’t made worse by mounting panic. Warfarin (have to jiggle with the quantities) to avoid the danger of a clot, and if the fibrillation gets too troublesome there’s something called Veloceraptor (maybe not, but that’s as near as I can get) to help settle it. 

I like to be able to forget about my body as often as possible. It gives me aches and pains and asthma and I’m used to all that, but this is rather new and doesn’t please me at all. 

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Bits start getting old before we think they should! Glad they've decided what it is so quickly, but the warfarin takes time to sort and then requires constant monitoring.
Mum got it in her early seventies and is 94 in December. Arthritis has been more of a daily pain and they gave her a new knee at 91.
Hope you are feeling lots better already.
Cheers and thinking of you.
Gillian
ps I was disappointed when no interest was shown in my paintings but I've moved onto new stuff. I shall nlog it soon. I joined facebook again under my own control by getting a new email for it and calling myself Gillian Margaret and changing my birthday so that I'm not swamped by past students and ex in-laws from oz.