17 Jun 2016

Back in harness - sort of.

Well, it's been a while since I last posted here. My excuse: There was a family crisis. That's generally my excuse, but the fact is I can't write when I'm emotionally involved elsewhere. Which probably means I'm not a writer. Poetry is much easier to create than either fiction or prose reflection and I had managed to write some poems during that time, just not about the what was going on. I'm working on a poem now that might help me digest what happened. We'll see how that goes. It's important to me to get it right. 

I heard Shelley re-quoted the other day: 'Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.' Written in his essay 'A Defence of Poetry'. It made me think. We should consider carefully what we write. Is it going to make positive ripples in the world? Is it going to change anyone's life for the better?  

My following post wasn't written taking that thought into account, but I hope it might help someone out there.

No comments: