26 Jan 2009

The charms of the chanter.

I have earned respect from my grandson for being the only adult in the family to allow him to tootle away on his practice chanter when sitting beside me in the car. Not surprisingly the more sensitive ears in the family can't focus on their driving with grace notes wailing in their ears. I rather like it, and it keeps the rugby talk down which I find much more difficult to respond enthusiastically to although I do know to cheer when he tells me he's scored a try.(That sort of chat reminds me of journeys with my own son when he told me in endless detail about ski-ing, windsurfing, archery, and climbing with descriptions of wave and wind types, bruises caused by those poles they slalom between that look so nice and bendy and soft but aren't, snow types, crampons, belaying pins, the best material for arrows and so on and so on. Hard for a girl to keep interested in really but I did my best.)

The 'practice chanter' is used as a practice instrument for the Great Highland Bagpipe so that learners don't have to master the mechanics of controlling the bag. Possibly the bag will NOT be allowed in the front seat when it gets attached. I think I may have mentioned before that we are looking for a suitable lonely hillside for his practice sessions in the future.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

I always wondered where people learned to play the bagpipes without alienating their nearest and dearest. Perhaps one of the Shetlands could be allocated for the purpose.
Do ear plugs work?
Cheers Gillian

carol said...

No - ear plugs don't work. It still gets to you through the belly! ;-)