21 Sept 2010

Something old, something new.

In the space of 36 hours I’ve sampled the best technology the NHS can provide hereabouts, and one of the oldest treatments in the world, possibly dating back to the Stone Age. The modern machine was a bone density scanner. Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry or DEXA to its friends. That was painless and unfreaky, a nice nice lady put me through it, and it was free. The only thing it will do however is tell me if I’m crumbling, which I expect I am since I ‘ve lost 2” in height somewhere along the road.

The acupuncture was, on the other hand, the most painful thing that has happened to me for a long time and I had to pay for it. I have a high pain threshold. I’m proud of the fact that I don’t yell or cry out in extremis. In the face of my shearers I am dumb. Usually. Today I yelled, and loud. Needles in my ankles sent really agonising tremors through other bits of my feet shooting down to several toes, making me think of tasers and Guatanamo Bay. Then there was a smell of burning and something hot clamped itself to my abdomen where it went on burning for much longer than I liked.

I do feel better though.

No comments: