23 Oct 2010

Axed

I put this in the wrong blog so it's a bit out of date:

The axe has fallen on our local RAF base. Chaos and confusion, not to mention despair, despondancy, dejection, gloom and doom on every face today I expect. I brace myself.

Personally whilst feeling sorry for the civilians who will lose their jobs I can't help celebrating the decline of the military in the UK.

I'd better keep that to myself.

The real bad news is that the base may still be used - by the army as barracks for the troops returning from Germany. Yikes! More pub brawls. Big old army vehicles trying to barrel along these inadequate roads. Khaki instead of blue marching up the High Street on Remembrance Sunday.... not good.

There was a nice rumour going round that Richard Branson had shown an interest in buying the land with its facilities (a weather station, hangars etc. ) as a base for realising his dream of putting a UK rocket into space. Now that would be fun. I suppose it was a joke. How sad.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

Good luck with the move. Ask me anything! What I don't know about moving can be engraved on the back of a very large pin.
Like you, I'm not worried about the reduction of the military, also I don't care about the lessening need to have a royal family or a religion or let everyone go to university to do something and end up with a debt.
I'm OK conductor, ring the bell!!!
Cheers Gillian

carol said...

Or as my old dad used to say: 'I'm alright Jack - I'm in the lifeboat.'