18 Oct 2010

White Poppy time again.


The White Poppy symbolises the belief that there are better ways to resolve conflicts than killing strangers. Our work, primarily educational, draws attention to many of our social values and habits which make continuing violence a likely outcome.
From economic reliance on arms sales (Britain is the world's second largest arms exporter) to maintaining manifestly useless nuclear weapons Britain contributes significantly to international instability. The outcome of the recent military adventures highlights their ineffectiveness in today's complex world.
Now 90 years after the end of the ‘war to end all wars’ we still have a long way to go to put an end to a social institution, which in the last decade alone killed over 10 million children.

If we really want to abolish the military and all that goes with it, we must first abolish the last remaining justification for it in the eyes of the general public.

http://www.ppu.org.uk/poppy/

http://www.ppu.org.uk/peacematters/peacematters/2008/2008c03.html


The above is all from the Peace Poppy site and I put up it here years ago. This year I'm frustrated and upset at not being able to wear a peace poppy because my daughter is afraid it will offend her many RAF patients and customers who probably wouldn't stop to have the principles explained to them they'd just take umbrage. It's her shop so I don't feel I can rebel but I shan't be wearing a red one.

2 comments:

stitching and opinions said...

glengerrard@btinternetWhen I was teaching I used to wear both, which initated discussion. I could defend collecting money [red]to care for those who had given their health but also explained that I wanted it to stop [thus white ] so more people didn't have to suffer.
But I can see it could be a problem in the shop.
As you know I did stupidly think the Iraq war was a good idea what with Saddam killing his country men hand over fist + the 15 min lie which frightened me I admit.
Then I realised it would not be a clinical strike but a blood bath of bystanders
I dunno, I guess whatever poppy we wear won't have much effect, but maybe if Chloe doesn't like it you should be excused duties till it is all over and thus you get some time to yourself. Which you deserve.
I would do no good in any army I am far too subversive.

Barry Askew said...

I love your blog. Just wanted to let you know. Love, Barry