15 Apr 2011

Burkas

I'm all in favour of the burka ban, mainly because I find it creepy not to be able to see people's faces.

On the other hand I'm getting to the age when wearing the full burka might not be such a bad idea, especially now when my face is swollen with cortizone because the asthma's been troublesome since Christmas and I haven't been back to the acupuncturist (NHS pills free, acupuncture £45 a pop. No-brainer.) The reason I'm so short of cash is partly because I spend a lot of money on clothing from a catalogue designed to, hopefully, disguise my shape, which a burka would do nicely and would probably be a saving. Thirdly, I love the thought of freedom from tight clothing - no need even for underwear! Yesterday I also found the answer to swimming without shame, the modestlyactive.com site for Islamic women who want to go swimming. It claims their suits are water resistant, easy drying and - surprise - UV repellant. I'm sorely tempted.

No comments: