21 May 2012

Wisdom in small things.

Exciting interlude for me on Saturday when I overcame my feather phobia to hold a tawny owl - and stroke him. The above image isn't of the hero who clambered willingly onto my rather nervous hand but obviously could be a cousin. I didn't have my camera with me and the photo they took of me and Woo was on an Instamatic of very poor quality. Sad, but I have my memories!  I'm dotty about owls. Not sure why, but if I really were a witch I would definitely choose one to be my familiar.


Woo is owned by the rescue centre who took the display of birds to the Steiner May Fair. He was born in captivity and is very tame, loving the attention. I think they are the same people who had charge of Hedwig last year.I'm sorry I missed meeting her.


A symbol of wisdom and sacred to Pallas Athene. They have an impressive folklorist tradition in countries across the globe and are one of the oldest species of vertebrate, fossils of them dating back 60 million years have been found and the physical appearance has changed very little since those times. they are one of the few birds to have made an appearance in cave paintings.  


Huge eyes and that Exorcist trick they do with their heads does give them a spooky presence.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

I too, find owls very endearing. I've never held one and would love to. Are they all feathers and thin skeletons. Koalas are skinny inside all their fur!
I love driving too. Especially up here where the roads are clear and the scenery wonderful. I feel so independent when I'm driving alone over the hills. So "in control" which I love!
I erased the last blog because It had published itself without the comments and I have done it again.
Thankyou for your lost comment and yes That is Tynemouth Station where I did some bookfairs a few years ago.
Cheers Gillian

carol said...

He did feel very fragile and light. I decided gainst the enormous African owl also available to hold because I thought my arm might collapse but I suppose all birds are light boned and airy.

Ah, book fairs - I do miss them! That must have ben a lovely venue.