25 Jun 2013

Pulling in horns time?


Joining one group has spawned so much activity that I’m wondering if I will have to draw my horns in again. It’s possible to get too thinly spread. The rash of links coming from the group sec. has slewed the focus for poems. Competitions tend to want writings on a theme. Probably best to wait for my themes to come round, but, whilst having stuff accepted is a real buzz, the chance of winning actual money is difficult to turn down, even when it’s so extremely unlikely. 


Chagrin was experienced when I heard that a book called ‘Queen Bee’ has recently been published. I had nearly finished a short story with the same name. Seems it’s too obvious a title for a story about women in groups. What occurred to me, post chagrin, was that neither the female in the novel nor in my story have much in common with the actual Queen Bee who after all just sits there waiting to be fed... well, maybe mine had more of that quality. As far as I can tell the one in the book is a sort of chairwoman for the group, organising activities that the sheep-like groupies then take on. Mine lives her life vicariously whilst being subtly dominating. Perhaps she’s more of a spider.



2 comments:

Gillian said...

I've had a book title and chapter headings ready for years but that's as far as it has got. Yours is so much more real.If you want the bee to stay, maybe "Honey" can form a suitable prefix...female, sweet, multi-purpose...
Sending you this from France, sitting in the sunshine sipping wine and thinking of you.
Cheers Gillian

carol said...

Ooh.... jealous now.... but thank you for thinking of me...have an extra good time.