23 Dec 2008

Boaring

It seems feeble but I have started a course of anti-depressants. The events of the last few months- longer even - have taken their toll and I reluctantly decided it was necessary before I become a complete bore to everyone around me. Whilst I would never find it amiss for friends to resort to pharmaceutical aids it did take me a while to admit I might need them myself. About fifteen years ago I took Efexor for six months and was impressed by how much better it made me feel; I remember catching myself really enjoying something and being startled by my own enjoyment. We can bump along on the bottom of the emotional floor without realising there is anything wrong. A level of anxiety and unhappiness becomes normal. Probably that is why the shop has ceased to give me any pleasure and why I feel tired all the time.

Right now I'm in the first uncomfortable days when the drug (not Efexor this time) is permeating my brain - hopefully - and there are uncomfortable side effects with no appreciable improvement in mood. Even so the very act of taking them has given me a more hopeful attitude. Two days ago I serously doubted I could produce any Christmas jollity at all, which would have been a shame as it's the first Christmas dinner I'm not in any way responsible for except for steaming the pudding. We're having roast wild boar. I was asked to find recipés and Google did not disappoint. The one I was most pleased with was found on the walls of Pompeii - I suppose they needed a relief from the erotica. In the end almost all the recipes (including the Pompeii one) involved long marinading in sweet wines with spices. So that is what is happening.

No comments: