23 Dec 2008

Suggestions for after-dinner games?

It's surprising what disappears from the shelves at this time of year. I can't believe all of them are destined to be Christmas presents. 'The History and Reconstruction of the Athenian Trireme' doesn't sound like a present, even for the man who has everything. I did wonder if it was a sort of after-dinner activity for all the family, a bit like Lego only large scale.

Lots of crime novel are going too. Wishful thinkers no doubt, plotting aunty's demise before she changes her will. It must be obvious by now that I prefer the crime novels from the Golden Age of crime. The motives were so much more obvious, just the primal drives of love and lust for flesh or money. Much less subtle, psychological and realistic, therefore less depressing. It's all got too shlock-horror and forensic for my taste lately. If I have to contemplate another beetle's life cycle in order to age a corpse I may lose the will to live myself.

No comments: