20 Dec 2009

...and yet more on Mr T ...

An interesting additional tale of the onward march of Toad has surfaced in my pond this morning. During the summer a woman went to the Other Bookshop to say she had books to sell. Ms T went to see them, dragged out some piles and said she couldn’t buy them on the spot but would like them at a later date. The woman wasn’t best pleased to have had the books taken off the shelves and left in piles on the floor so when ‘the man’ phoned to say that he thought ‘they could do something about her books now’ she was already dubious. He turned up in a beaten-up car full of black plastic bags and looking - creepy was the word she used. The creepiness continued as he hung around and hung around telling her stories of his life she han’t asked to hear, for instance that he went into a seminary at an early age. This tidbit always comes up for the ladies; I suppose us romantics like such a show of spirituality, but I fear it may be wearing thin. On this occasion he laced the tale with remarks about giving himself friction burns whilst he was there. Ho! Ho! So perturbed was she that she rang a friend and asked the friend to come round or agree to meet her for a drink so she could get rid of him, which she finally did.

Sounds to me as if the Toad is losing his pulling power. That’s two women who’ve told me his advances only turned them off. The other one blushed heavily as she admitted he’d asked her for a coffee then complimented her bottom. She found him sleazy.

He wasn’t always so unhealthily vulgar and louche. Well, he was vulgar but seemed more rugby player masculine rather than what he has become, shabby, cheap and disreputable. A skin-crawler.

Sad really.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

How come he can still get away with driving a car. No-one would insure him when he was in Darlo, but of course he hadn't told me he was without a license. They got him on the way home from spending a large amount of my money at an auction house and took his car away and crunched it. That gave him 18 months community service. If he is still driving...dob him in. Send me the rego (aussie for number plate) and I'll do it. The malacca (greek for wanker) shouldn't be on the road. He is a dangerous and ruthless driver with no concern for other road users and an inflated opinion of his own ability. I copped a load of abuse when I was driving us to London and back to book fairs, and he didn't think I was "brave" enough.
He should be dis-licensed for ever.
Cheers to you for xmas and if you are worried about me saying this on your blog, please let me know and I will remove it, cos I know he follows us when he has a chance.
Cheers Gilian

carol said...

Love to have you here Gillian - and your comment is welcome to remain. As far as I know he still pays no heed to the rules us mere mortals have to follow and drives when he gets the chance - and yes, he drives as he lives - with Olympian disregard for those he hurts or might hurt.

There are enough folk who know of his reputation around here and in the book trade (the latest court case was followed by many with interest, or so I am told by the chap who was forced to take the legal step) so I'm sure retribution will follow in due course, even if the police around here are too busy filling out forms to notice an actual misdemeanour. It's his belief in his own superior intelligence that catches him out every time.

Thanks for 'malacca' - a new word for me. I like the sound of it!