8 Feb 2010

Last free Monday...

I'm counting the days of my freedom and plan to make good use of them this week by lunching with friends, seeing 'Avatar' and having my hair highlighted. Most afternoons will be spent helping daughter price all the stock - a rather daunting prospect for both of us. The shop is progressing nicely with a couple of local suppliers (hand made creams and lotions; beautiful bread) interested in coming on board. We're having an opening party on Sunday for invited folk so I'm going to be making poppyseed cake, carrot cake, sun-dried tomato and feta scones, and sushi all on Saturday. Busy programme. Hope I stay the course!!

Last week saw our family (g'dad, me, daughter and daughter's partner) trouping in to see g'sons psychiatrist, a nice young woman who looks about 12 to me. It's the first time she's formally met us and I was impressed at her handling of the gathering. I don't think she told us much we didn't know but did underline some needful specific attention to him which prompted me to take him for a sit-down fish and chip lunch then a visit to the toy shop for another model to make over his leave-out weekend. I would probably have done that anyway as I like an excuse to go to a particular f'n'c restaurant but it made me feel I was also helping his healing which was nice. She, in exchange, heard details about the early problems with his dad that she hadn't heard, noteably the time when Dad's girlfriend cut up all photos of his mum (presumably in front of him or left the bits lying around) and those not cut up were put on a board to have darts thrown at them. That upset the poor boy badly.

Not much other news. My book supplier, Tom, on his tour of the charity shops, found me another Swedish crime writer, 'Never End' by Ake Edwardson which I can recommend for pace, tension and believable characters. Then it was back to the inestimable Reginald Hill who never disappoints me, provides lots of chuckles (snorts in my case.. I have this terrible habit..) along the way and puts it all in prose to relish.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Oh, Gosh, Well... I think he should be Sir Reginald by now. Love him to bits.
Hope that all the stuff you are going through helps to get everyone back on track. I'm having probs with my Mum and have given up. What I don't like is her intimidation of my siblings if they mention me.
Cheers Gillian