22 Mar 2010

Travelling horizontal is definitely the best way. I slept very peacefully on the way down to London and on the way back too. Better train on the homeward run and better complimentary 'comfort pack.' Sadly there is no sleeper between Paddington and Hayle so I read 'The Shakespeare Curse' by J.L.Carrell on the way there. The less said about that the better except that the writing style is slightly more supportable than the Da Vinci Code. Then 'The Sunday Philosophy Club' by Alexander McCall Smith on the homeward run, which I enjoyed much more than the African series, probably because I find it easier to envisage Edinburgh than Africa. I like his style; unobtrusive but classy.

Whilst in the family home I was accomodated on the best bed as the puppies were in the spare room and the owners felt it only right they should sleep alongside these squeeky morsels. The Best Bed has a wonderful memory foam mattress, so good that I almost stayed for ever.(No good for those who want to get rid of mother-in-laws in other words!) My back felt really good all week. Memo to self - start saving. At present I sleep on an old mattress on the floor. There is a bed available, I just prefer the floor, but would be coaxed off if I had such a sublime sleeping place offered. I stayed awake ach evening just long enough to get through Sarah Waters 'The Little Stranger' by skipping huge bits of it. Felt it was much too long and she should learn from the masters, James and Poe, that spinning a story out doesn't make it more spooky once the troublesome spirit is perceived, just irritating.

1 comment:

stitching and opinions said...

Hurray the pics! well worth waiting for, even my curdled old soul flows over with glow at such gorgeousness on 2 and 4 legs.
Sleeper trains - a Memory mattress - hmmmmmmmmmm what a wonderful holiday.