29 May 2010

Depression?

A friend came into the shop one day this week and asked me if I knew about depression. Do I! Yes I do. It's something I'm prone to. Looking back over this blog I've just noticed that my enthusiasm for it is fading away. I have zero energy for finding photos and no impulse to write screeds about my opinions. Maybe that's a good thing for the world, but I suspect not good for me - it's a state of mind not arrived at through tranquility but brought on by low-grade gloom. Anyway, I clicked on the next ten blogs and found them all to be filled by textile artists, design artists, quilters, etc. Many with very beautiful stuff. Maybe this is no place for words.

Or nobody has the patience to read words any more. The magazine mind that likes to flick picture pages has triumphed. The instant gratification society has taken over.

Which reminds me: One of the most depressing adverts I've seen in the papers recently was for a children's 'interactive' book which promised to 'make reading fun.' Reading IS FUN DAMMIT. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE MADE FUN WITH A WHOLE LOT OF VISUAL GIMCRACKERY.

Maybe I do still have opinions!

Doesn't mean I'm not depressed.

Not sure what to do about the depression. Pulling up the socks has never worked for me. There may be a long intermission whilst I slide gently to the bottom of the sludge.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

Sorry about the depression. SAD, I know, but DEPRESSION I don't.
I do understand the difference.
Now there is no shop to attend daily, could you venture forth to County Durham?
You are welcome any time.
Cheers Gillian

carol said...

That's VERY kind Gillian. I'd love to take you up on your offer but I'm needed here at present. One day...