8 May 2010

More random thoughts from the attic.

We live in interesting times. Finally folk are rumbling en masse to the understanding that 'Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely' - be it politicians or the Pope. The Tories could hardly expect to win when the Thatcher days are still fresh in the memory and Labour will have a hard time living down the oil slick that was Blair, warhawk extraordinaire. My newspaper tells me that a Tory seat Cameron is proud of for the 'good' changes a Tory council has made there now charges so highly for care and help at home that one blind woman at least has had to give up having it. The recreation ground that used to be a haven for the local footie teams now gives priority to - polo teams.

The first leader to suggest that a coalition government is what is needed in these times of financial crisis would get my vote now.

Amusing that of all the people interviewed for predictions on results (BBC) the astrologist came the closest - nearly spot on. She predicted a second election in September.

A customer accused me of being 'what's wrong with this country' (Scotland) because as an English incomer I would be bound to vote for 'those people down there.' Well, he's right of course, but the Lib. Dems did very well up here even if they didn't get this constituency which is an SNP stronghold and I'll never vote for anything with 'national' in its title (I don't like Alex Salmond either but the other reason sounds slightly more worthily idealistic.) The same customer went on to rubbish the Americans, the Jews, the 'blacks,' European immigrants and etc. etc. so I didn't feel I was in bad company. Being grouped with Americans might bother me but as they are in fact, all the other races he derides rolled into one it takes the sting out. I don't much like being lumped with the religious extremists, or the 'right to bear arms' numpties in the USA but don't have me down as a bigot Gordon please; I may be bigoted in some areas but not in all and after all some of my best friends are Am... oh wait, no they aren't... still they might be, and I really like Obama.

It amazes me how many Scots believe that their country could 'go it alone.' The UK itself is of little more consequence in world affairs than Belgium nowadays.

Oh for goodness sake, what a daft lot we humans are. Always at war with ourselves. The planet will shrug us off soon.

No comments: