4 Sept 2011

A Perfect Day.

The new Phil Rickman: 'The Secrets of Pain' arrived Friday, earlier than predicted when I preordered it from Amazon. Bit of a blow to the local economy but nevertheless VERY welcome. I read from the time I awoke this morning until now (1pm) and finished it. For me his books are the perfect blend of Mysticism, the mundanely mysterious and the more frighteningly inexplicaple, folk tales, legends - and crime. He slaloms through the conflicts of the quiet crumbling of the Church in the face of rationalism and cynicism whilst, through Merrily Watson and her Pagan daughter Jane, he touches on the deeper roots of the Sacred and the ineffable, which have very little to do with organised religion. Corruption in the Church and in local politics, the desecration of the countryside and the depredations of the money-makers who see the fields, forests, hills and villages of Herefordshire as a commodity, thinking nothing of destroying the archaeological presences that remain of our heritage, all this is witnessed and mourned by a few enjoyably human characters who by now have become almost as real to me as my own family.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

I have seriously put that on my list.
You read far more than me and I am often interested in your comments but this one has gripped me
Thanks C
Cheers Gillian

stitching and opinions said...

would you try emailing me please. my b'berry refuses to allow me to write to you on the address i have. and I cn't email from my laptop. Dunno why, at the mo I am piggy backing on someone elses wifi.
We are now in Port William in a rather smelly [plug ins - yuk] old fashined house, but the garden opens onto the beach, so quite a pus as long as katia doesn't blow us away. We have been lucky with the weather so far, it can't last.