27 Jan 2012

This week I have mainly eaten Tapas!

Wednesday there was the Scottish tapas: haggis in tempura batter, fish in ditto but no chips, Aberdeen Angus sausage stew - and that was about the limit of the pub's imagination, the other dishes were more predictable.

Yesterday it was Chinese; easy for the restaurant really. They had had some Chinese ladies teaching them how to cook authentic dishes for the week-long New Year celebrations, so just served small portions for the tapas: Wonton soup, (always my favourite) Dim Sum, and, requested by my friend, beef in black bean sauce, which wasn't such a success because they had sliced the beef all wrong, too thick and not along the grain so it was really tough.

Predictably, at both venues, there was always the dish that was far too salty. I suppose the traditional taste for sweet things in this part of the world has to be balanced by saltier savoury dishes. (Just my theory.) I'm always grumbling about the amount of salt in everything up here. Sometimes it's all I can taste, but when i complain (politely) the waitresses/chefs look bemused and say no-one else has complained.

Sigh.

The Dim Sum were very very nice though.

No photos. Sorry. I always forget my camera...

No comments: