3 Nov 2008

Breaking news... welcome Theo.

I just wrote ‘not much other news’ at the end of this posting when I heard that the third grandchild, Theo, arrived safely at 5am this morning. He missed his dad’s birthday by 5 hours, arrived at home and it was all very quick, which is great news.

No photos yet but I suppose that’s too much to hope for....

The original post was to have read:

It seems to have been a very busy week although I think that’s mainly been the steaming of puddings. It’s very demanding to have to remember to top up the water every half hour because I only have one pan that’s big enough. Four puddings took four days - six hours each day so the house has been like a sauna. Warm anyway. Which is more than it was outside. We had enough snow down here to make a small snowman, quite remarkable as the coast is less than four miles away and snow rarely settles at all these days. The pity was it didn’t last until Bonfire Night in the Park. It would have been the first time, in my memory anyway, that the grassy banks and the woods behind the fireworks were layered with snow. I thought that would be rather nice. I didn’t go - too much standing for my back - but heard it here. Very noisy. I hope all the pets were safely at home.

The snow did drive the customers in and trade is up. Nevertheless my mind focuses more and more on running down stock so that the folk who buy get a pleasant surprise with the prices. I don’t feel inclined to have sale signs yet though, maybe closer to Christmas I will. With Hallowe’en over that is unavoidably the next weigh station. Way station?

Not much other news. My coffee alarm wakes me at 5.30 each morning now, a slight improvement on the 5am of last week. It means I want to go to bed long before the (slightly) better programmes on TV.

The Woody Allen film ‘A Midsummer Night’s Sex Comedy’ cheered me up enormously yesterday. It doesn’t seem to have won any awards but it’s light and jolly and I really enjoyed it. Good heavens the man is now 73. What a life he’s had. He’s like Chaplin - always plays himself or the same Woody character but that’s fine by me. I want all of them.

No comments: