4 Oct 2009

The Auld Alliance





Yesterday I took a drive over the hills to Ballater and Dinnet again. In The Auld Alliance, Dinnet, I took these photos to tantalise Gillian. I love this shop with its mix of Scottish and French antiques and bric-a-brac and, of course, Jane's books. It's hard not to buy. I'm hoping to return with a fuller purse in a month or so before the gift-giving time is on us.

Jane is expecting a Happy Event. Her bizarre gargoyle-faced, extremely well-bred cat hs proved that breeding alone does not a lady make by getting pregnant to a local Tom and, as Jane says, is looking as if she has swallowed a football.

Sadly I didn't see the mother-to-be in the flesh so couldn't take a picture. Dave was predicting the birth for this weekend as today is the full moon. Certainly I had one of my famous sleepless nights and have a hung-over sort of feeling today. The drive was more tiring than it should have been because the car is still not firing steadily on all cylinders and lost power going up the worst of the hills. Luckily I was the only car on the road so no-one was exasperated by my slow progress. It's like being back 60 years when cars weren't what they are today and groaned their way up hills slipping gears and hiccuping. Must get it fixed.

3 comments:

stitching and opinions said...

I've had two sleepless nights in a row, so it is comforting to know I am not the only bad tempered muttery old crone today.

stitching and opinions said...

PS the honey glow of the old wood and brass is also comforting, and reminds me that ageing is not all bad............

Gillian said...

Thankyou Carol! What a lovely shop. It is definitely on my visiting list when I travel north next.
Cheers Gillian