15 Jan 2011

Linked in to everywhere.

Playing around with the iPad during the day is fun but limits me to exploring the internet because there's no word processing possibility, as far as I can tell. I chase up information then when I get bored with that I look up people I've lost contact with over the decades. Often I don't find them but yesterday I had two successes. Firstly I located the address of a cousin I haven't seen for 50 years. Shall I write? Probably not as I'm bad enough at writing to people already in my life, but the temptation is there because he may give me some clues about my father's family. I have huge gaps in my knowledge of my Welsh ancestry that I would like to fill.

Then I found someone who has left me with a rather bigger dilemma. A friend lost contact - broke contact - with his son some years ago. They had a row I think. I liked the young man, (my teenage daughters were rather taken with him as he is very handsome, like my friend) and I felt sad about the situation, which of course is nothing whatsoever to do with me but I always feel it's a tragedy when parents and children lose each other in that way. There must - in my head anyway - be pain and regret alongside the stubborness and bitterness. Maybe it's being an only child myself. Anyway, now I have the opportunity to
change things, if it needs changing, because the son is on Facebook, large as life, in teeny tiny speedos that look like a posing pouch , standing in some blue water under a blue sky. I've have made no contact as yet but the dilemma is: do I assume my friend has also seen that his son is contactable or do I shut up?

1 comment:

stitching and opinions said...

I can rarely resist a dabble or a dibble. Looking up alternative relatives seems like potentially interesting. Maybe discretion is best on the latter, is there a lateral way of getting the info across. I find women are often keener on linking up menfolk than the men.