7 Nov 2012

A good trip.

It's so nice to find I can still travel, at least to the ends of the British Isles if not the Earth. Walking for a sustained length of time is a problem and getting to the taxi rank at Euston with a case full of 2 very heavy fruit cakes felt like trekking in Nepal (as I imagine that to be) but everything went smoothly once I'd had time to gasp for oxygen.  I saw Oxford again, the above photo is an alternative view to the gleaming spires), my daughter's pretty flat, Brown's (delicious fishcake, best ever!) and - oh joy - a real bookshop! It's so long since I have seen thousands of books on shelves; I nearly swooned. Browsing Amazon just isn't the same.


In Cornwall the temperatures where so different to Scotland I thought I'd really gone abroad, until the last day, which was when it snowed on Dartmoor. Bit chilly that morning. Intense family time watching the boys swim, the family dress up for a Hallowe'en party, then the two birthdays I had gone to celebrate.  Both birthday boys behaved nicely and didn't get to over-excited (one of then is 33 so didn't yell when his balloon popped.) Lots of cake which I baked then tried to eschew! The Hadji household is a veritable petting park with three puppies and three adult dogs vying to be cuddled. Exhausting.

No comments: