30 Nov 2012


The Sandman and I enjoyed ‘Skyfall.’  Who wouldn’t! ( Probably my ex, who would have found the volume reprehensibly high. I love it when the seats vibrate!) The motorbike chase at the outset, across the rooftops of the Grand Bazaar somewhere in Turkey (Istanbul?) was excellent, although my old-wifey personality deplored the waste of good fruit as stalls crumbled and melons rolled. Sandy says I jumped noticeably several times in the course of the film; I probably did. The mark of a good movie IMO is  if it gets my gut reacting.

The funny bits, nicely timed, were the best of course, and there were plenty, though distressingly often mixed up with killing moments, of which there were far too many.  Bond may not have shown (as much) callousness over his female conquests, but he does take corpses in his stride. (except one, but to name that would be a spoiler). Best moment, if I have to pick one,  was Judi Dench’s cultured voice ordering, with lady-like asperity , an operative to  ‘Take the bloody shot.’  

JD is my favourite ever actress. (Spell-check is very proper and doesn’t like that. I should have put ‘actor. ‘ Get stuffed Sp-ch.) I talent-spotted her in the early 70’s when she was in a TV production ( forgotten the name of it of course.)* It was a family drama, each episode being the same event through the eyes of one of the main characters. She shone then, and has shone ever since. 

I also enjoyed the new Q,  a boffin-geek, barely out of teenage acne, who cheerfully shows Bond up for being outdated and possibly obsolete.

Location shots were highly enjoyable too, especially as they came up the A9 to the Highlands - almost home!

S and I played air-hockey in the cinema foyer whilst we waited for the pop-corn to be mucked out from the last showing.  Now there’s a game I could get enthusiastic about. Does it count as a sport? I almost broke a sweat.  

* Thanks to Google: It was 'Talking to a Stranger' by John Hopkins and was in 4 episodes!

1 comment:

stitching and opinions said...

so many films i haven't seen, v depressing