28 Feb 2008

addendum

A well-dressed couple came in just now, found a book, new (remaindered) and the woman asked me if they could have it for £3. The price on it was £3.50. Without thinking I asked 'Why? I don't get it. It's only £3.50'
'Because it's traditional' said the bloke in a jocular tone.
'You wouldn't bargain in Tesco' said I, trying to keep it light.
'Oh yes I would' he replied. 'I've got a loaf for half price before now.'

Well, the customer is always right and so on but, remaining in good natured jocular mode, assuring them that when they made a purchase totalling over £100 I would consider giving them 10% off, I still refused to give them their 50p discount. They left the shop talking about how they always do that at book fairs.....

I would like to have continued the discussion really. If I were to embrace this bargaining culture I would simply put my prices up to allow for it. I might also have told them that I do give discounts on small purchases - if I like the customers. Probably just as well they left.

Not a bad score today though and friends from Croatia visited so it was also convivial.

No comments: