13 Jun 2008

Friday 13th

As Black Fridays go thus far it hasn't been too bad. A young man cleared my shelves of hardback Russian novels, and a local farmer of the well-spoken variety bought a local book of the expensive variety. This sort of thing cheers a bookseller up no end. Lady C came by to invite me to her house - to view some of her books rather than for a pre-prandial drink but still, something to look forward to, and my ex made arrangements for my birthday present, a 26" flat screen TV to be delivered on the day. Hooray! My evening viewing will be much improved and the X-Files will be even scarier.

A package arrived from an author Clio Gray (who lives in Tain, so almost local) containing two of her novels, signed to me with thanks 'for the lost plots that delighted me.' Nice.

J called in with Scottish novels to sell me, altogether not too bad a selection. I learned that she felt 'The Harbour Bar' (the novel about Findhorn we thought would be fun to have reprinted) to be sentimental and poorly written. As J has a degree in Victorian Literature I feel her opinion carries some weight so will take her advice and let it drop; though I still think if someone could be bothered it might make a good film.

Another J called in to exchange news and funny anecdotes, one of which involved Gorilla Glue. She was recently conned into believing it was made from actual boiled-down gorillas and was in danger of getting up a petition. Luckily she told her husband. It was some time before he could speak for mirth .

A couple who talked more than they browsed, told me about the time they lived here in the 60's when there was a William Lowe in the HIgh Street (a general store then I suppose; there was eventually a chain of them, the first Scottish supermarkets.) The couple are here for a quinquenial RAF reunion and very chipper about it.

Then the local journalist came barelling in to ask if I had been inviegled into signing a 'petition' to keep the East End Post Office open. Well, yes, I had although the West End Post office is my preferred destination with my heavy bag of books in the morning as they are only a step or two away. The person bearing this petition made me feel that I would be letting the community down if I didn't sign so - not wanting negative points I signed. There was a Town meeting about the closures at which folk were told NOT to get up petitions. I'm still not totally sure what the excitement is about, and who has trangressed, or why, or if at all...but I shall read all about it in the next issue of the FG no doubt.

So much talking. I am ready to shut the door now and it's pouring with rain, but it's only 4.15 so my work ethic won't let me.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

It's pouring with rain here too! It's not raining in Bishop Auckland 10 miles away because I've been there twice today but about a mile in/out of Staindrop the rain curtain descends.
This business of keeping open the Post Offices when we all let the Milkmen retire without complaint makes me wonder where our values lie. If people in out of the way places need a post office to supply them with day-to-day stuff why not let the Spar chain take over everything. They seem to be doing a good job to me.
Cheers Gillian

stitching and opinions said...

Huh - I was married once to a young man who had read all the Russian novels, didn't make for cheerful outlook on life.
Try and direct him to PGWoodhouse in future for the sake of young women in the parish