20 Jun 2008

Youth's wild ride.

My second daughter Sophie is in the presence of one of our idols - Leonard Cohen - this evening in Manchester. She says it will probably be so huge a venue that she will hardly see him, but when you revere someone like we do Len then it's worth it just to say she's done it. I wish I could be there. She went to one of Bob Dylan's concert a year or two back and rang me half way through to hold her mobile up over the heads of the crowd so I could hear him!

It really touches me to be able to share these people with one of my children. I think for both of us their attraction is in the lyrics they write. There aren't too many people, even of my own generation, who are as appreciative. My friend J dismisses both of them as being growlers. But that growl comes right from the heart!

I'm rather proud of Sophie right now. She is going through the Venus Return like a ship tossed in a really bad storm, blown off course occasionally but holding all her timbers together, as it were. Although I'm cynical about astrological stuff this does seem to be an observable phenomenon, and if I remember rightly Steiner also claimed there was a bumpy time of re-evaluation at around 28-30. His theory was that we develop in seven year cycles and 28-30 is the beginning of a repetition of the first four cycles from birth to adulthood. It was certainly my experience. And Chloe's too come to think of it. Sophie is flying off to Barcelona tomorrow just for an overnight stop and back Sunday. This, for someone who doesn't like flying, is quite wild. More adventurous than I was, although I could tell a tale or two....

It has just struck me that according to Steiner I should be starting on a new cycle of cycles - should have last year in fact. I don't feel as if I am rocked by much this time.

Again - something to be grateful for!

No comments: