6 Aug 2009

Gifted.

I can't believe how many books I've been given recently - free! The donor this morning had been incensed by hearing Oxfam are driving secondhand bookshops out of business. Not sure it's entirely true but I did appreciate her reaction which was to offer me a complete, unopened, set of Dickens. I'm not a fan myself but over the past year I have sold a complete Folio set and half the same set again in singles via Amazon, so plenty of people must love him.

Many more visitors about and the takings are worth having. Pity I am going away just at the height of the season but - that's life. A friend will open half days for me just to keep the pot boiling.

Otherwise it's being a strange week with lots of cooking: Moussaka; Chicken in wine; Goulash (one veggie one with meat); Spanakopita ( feta & spinach in filo pastry); Nut roast; coffee & pecan nut cake; chocolate almond cake; lemon drizzle cake; Madeira cake.... oh for heaven's sake stop me someone PLEASE!

I was cooking at 3.30 this morning because g'son had been unable to get to sleep and finally woke me at 2.30 in distress and the need for company. Once he'd got me up and attentive and sorry for him he dropped off and I was left buzzing frenetically so I cooked. I feel a bit light headed now.

What else?

2 comments:

stitching and opinions said...

why don't you like Dickens?

Gillian said...

Just came back from Dorset through the New Forest and there were some dear little foals there.
The local gypsy hosres all foal in May and they are nearly grown now.
Cooking is a grand restoration of self worth. It is a pleasure to create and (usually) delicious to demolish.
Cheers Gillian