29 Aug 2009

Wallander

Much taken by Wallander on TV I tried one of the books - 'Sidetracked.' With my translator friend in mind I wondered how it would read and if I would be getting a true impresssion of Mankell's style. The novelist and the public are both dependant on the skill of these people.

Whatever the original sounds like I was totally gripped by the translation. Its oddly disjointed style reminds me strongly of the atmosphere of the Swedish series now showing on BBC 3 with subtitles, so I suppose it to be a good representation.

It's a happy day when I find an author I haven't read before - lots of titles to keep me entertained through the winter.

The last Steig Larsson is out soon too. Let's hear it for the Swedes!

1 comment:

stitching and opinions said...

I like the Wallender books, but then Mankell trudges off to South Africa which i didn't take to, need that Northern hemisphere gloom apparently.