9 May 2008

50p & a headache...

is what I've achieved today. There's still half an hour to go but I don't think much will change. To be fair I haven't been at my seat for much of the time; Sandy has been having a major wobbly since the early hours, didn't go to school, and that has distracted both his poor mother and me. Maybe the weather is changing. It was beautiful earlier but now has lost it's freshness and is heavy. The shop is on the shady side of the street for which I am immensely grateful, but the heaviness is on both sides. Chloe has a tension backache and I have a tension headache. Sandy just feels a bit sad. I will probably make my headache worse with some wine in a minute.

There have been a couple of 'nearly' sales but nothing has come to fruition. A German printer came in and instructed me in the fine art of paper. Disgraceful to admit I had no idea that paper had a grain! Books bound with the grain in the wrong direction go curly and are unpleasant to read, according to him. He managed to suggest that British printing isn't up to much, and then moved on to criticise British education. I can't help thinking of how many Germans there are living here who are constantly critical of British standards. With reason in many cases I am sure, German workmanship and thoroughness is famous, but - if it's so good over there.. do I need to continue?

Many of the British, who moved into Brussels in 1973, especially the wives who were just following their husbands, where just the same. Not me. I was full of praise for just about everything, especially the food, and got really p**d off with the grisslers. Most of them stayed on long after I left so I suppose they finally noticed what was good.

No comments: