20 May 2008

Freudisms

With interest renewed in Freud I found a web page of quotations from the great man. Here are a few of my favourites:

* If you can't do it, give up!

* If youth knew; if age could.

* Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

* Illusions commend themselves to us because they save us pain and allow us to enjoy pleasure instead. We must therefore accept it without complaint when they someimes collide with a bit of reality against which they are dashed to pieces.

* Neurosis is the inability to tolerate ambiguity.

* The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilisation.

* Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

.....and I think everyone knows this one: 'Time spent with cats is never wasted.'

2 comments:

stitching and opinions said...

I like the neurosis one

carol said...

Yes - it seems to cover my particular loveable idiosyncracies.