30 Sept 2008

Book Fair Finale

It was a succesful fair for this tradesperson at the PBFA fair in Aberdeen at the weekend, mainly because I offered huge reductions to the other sellers. From the public the trade was slow all round; I didn't hear many paper bags rustling - i.e. not many books were being wrapped. Nobody actually owns to be feeling the pinch yet so I have to assume that whatever is happening here is peculiar to this shop and this High Street. Despite their insoucience several dealers did say, in response to my news, that it was probably a good moment to be making a move out of the business and their thousand yard stare got even longer as they spoke, so possibly there HAVE been signs of a slow-down. On a day when the world economy teeters round the U.S. decision not to bail out Wall Street fat cats I'm not sure it's worth worrying much.

I forgot to take my camera but there wasn't much to capture except the purple face of a certain querrilous old queen when I tried to borrow the hotel trolley to take my boxes to the car. He actually shouted at me! He still had several bookcases to empty and the driver he had hired to help him was very ready for a rest, he had no boxes ready at that moment, my trip would have taken three minutes maximum but - 'You leave that trolley there! I got that and I'm paying... ' Er... for what? The hotel trolley?

It's the first time I have EVER had anything unpleasant happen to me at a book fair, although this chap , who feels himself to be King of the castle in the organisation (and to give him his due he has worked hard for it over the last few years) had been ignoring me studiously throughout the two days because I cancelled myself from one of his fairs earlier in the year (I suppose!)

Unfortunately I react badly in these moments and instead of being grave and reasonable I laugh. I laughed rather a lot as it was all so silly. A lock of hair was tossing above the enraged face in an agitated Hugh Grantish way. It only wanted the stamped foot. Laughing didn't help the situation much. Two other much more gentlemanly dealers put my seven boxes (no bookcases because I had sold them and two less boxes than I arrived with) onto their trolleys and steered me out of the room before the prima donna could burst an artery.

Oh well. At least I went out with a bang!

2 comments:

Gillian said...

Well done Carol...For selling two whole boxes and two bookcases!... and for laughing. The situation did not need dignity it needed exposure to its ridiculousness.
Cheers Gillian

carol said...

How was your latest fair Gillian? Or maybe it hasn't happened yet.
If you see Richard from Yarm again give him my love.