30 Sept 2008

Pullman's my man!

In an article in todays Grauniad Pulllman says how delighted he has been with reaction to the 'Northern Lights' trilogy which is causing big protests in the good ole USA. To my sorrow Borders has banned it. Not so funny that - I like Borders.

Pullman has revealed he was delighted to discover his novel Northern Lights was one of the most "challenged" titles of the year in America, with numerous calls made to have it removed from libraries.

Pullman said that banning a book on religious grounds was "the worst reason of the lot".

"Religion grants its adherents malign, intoxicating and morally corrosive sensations. Destroying intellectual freedom is always evil, but only religion makes doing evil feel quite so good," he said.

2 comments:

stitching and opinions said...

Oh dear. I was looking forward to a visit to Borders when I get to Reno next month. Perhaps I should make a "Pullman rules OK" badge, tho secretly i found him a bit pompous.

carol said...

Yes, he probably is a touch pompous. It's amazing how much I can forgive folk who have the same opinion as me!!

I'd stll like you to wear the badge though - and one for me!

If I get through to the Borders in Iverness I shall have to make an extra large one though the shop assistants probably won't have a clue.