16 Sept 2008

In came Gregory...

... a nice old chap (probably not mch older than me but never mind) who is a bit of a misfit living in DSS accomodation in an ertshwile hotel which he calls his 'club.' He is highly intelligent and well read; a Christian Jew with leanings toward being in a monastery but somehow he wouln't fit there either. His heavily featured lined face and rather shabby appearance has caused rumours of the worst kind to proliferate about him in the town. The locals are quick to condemn what they don't understand. If he looked as he does but got drunk nightly he would soon blend in, as it is no-one quite knows what to make of him and crass invention is the result. Once we had established that I wasn't going to go out for the occasional walk or drink or meal with him (I have had to make this clear to a few lonely men lately which is ironic because once upon a time I would have loved to be asked out, now I am simply too switched off to be interested) he simply comes in for a chat. He is a perfect gentleman and quite quite harmless. He rarely buys a book but often gets me to order some obscure title for him and as a reward, from time to time, he brings me a polished stone or a crystal that he claims reminds him of me.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

I've got a "Gregory" coming round tomorrow, ostensibly to take photos of the cat, so I just make sure that the place is like Grand Central Station with the Asda delivery, a fedex pick up, a couple of hours of Simon in the garden etc. Then off to the first WI meeting for the season.
Cheers Gillian