16 Sept 2008

Vis-a-vis..

... swooping gulls and talk of sunshine on Chillsides blog, there was a recent enquiry into the poor health of the Scots and lack of sunshine was held to blame. Vitamin D defiency is common amongst dwellers of northern climbs and it isn't only the Scots who sufer from more of natures nasties per capita than people in sunnier places. It makes sense and I will stop blaming the indigenous sweet tooth and liking for fatty baking. Since I have lived up here my dietary tastes have changed. I can hardly be bothered with salads though once I loved them. As autumn settles in I find my longing for hearty stews (and even casoulet once in a while though I still baulk at the amount of fat a good french one has in it) increases. This in turn puts weight on which is bad but I feel the cold a lot less than my skinny daughters. Whilst I was just visiting here from Brussels I couldn't understand how folk in these parts (not only Scots) could allow themselves to get so fat. Over the years I've stopped noticing. Townies tend to be thinner. Maybe it's also the discipline of wearing those business suits that holds the tummy muscles tight.

I very much feel the need of a holiday not having been away for 18 months. not a sunshiney one, just a change which will come when the next grandchld arrives and I soldier south. In the meantime I'll buy some Vt.D supplement which I will feel good about then forget to take!

2 comments:

Gillian said...

Staindrop is Raindrop and it's not much better here, but it's good to have a change once in a while.
Cheers Gillian

joco said...

I am quite taken with the idea of the Scots putting on weight inspite of the northern climbs ;-)
I would have thought that would have kept them slender .

Know what you mean about salads. Haven't had any for years. Just think of all the mayo you're not eating.