8 Sept 2008

Mushrooms.

Very delicious, and this time of year I usually get a plateful or two of chanterelles from a friend who knows a place where they grow (people always keep this knowledge secret.) I THINK she is reliable but this year I shall take a closer look at them myself before I sauté them in butter. A local laird and his lady entertained their guests last week with a poisoned platter wherein lurked a false chanterelle (or two.) They spent time in hospital on dialysis to support their suffering kidneys and made the national news because one of the guests was the Horse Whisperer Nicholas Evans. ( Embarassing enough to poison ones guests, but how much worse to have it spread over the evening headlines!) All of which probably explains why the book "How to Identify Edible Funghi" that I put in the window today at 9am had been sold, along with the only other copy in the shop, by 10am.

It's an ill wind......

No comments: