30 Jul 2009

Achilles heel


I'm now the proud owner of the first issue of this organ. It makes interesting reading. I was too busy having babies and being an ex-pat wife to even know of its existence at the time. The story of my lfe. It seems to have run for 7 issues then folded until 1987 after which it ran steadily until 1999. I can't believe that what it set out to do has been accomplished. It aimed to create a discussion forum and support for men in an era when the defining roles of the sexes were blurring, the power of men over women was diminishing and masculinity was becoming a bad word. Inspired by the women's movements of the time and Spare Rib its opening chapter takes example from the tediously gynaecological tone of women's magazines and talks openly, frankly and at length about men's bits. I never knew they were prone to so many nasty infections and problems!

No comments: