19 Jul 2009

Brahma Kumaris

K & I went to a very nice session given by a young Indian women from the Brahma Kumaris centre in Oxford. It was odd be part of such a group in what felt like a board-room situation in Elgin library but ultimately very invigorating and positive. The talk was on restoring, or finding, confidence in oneself and the importance of so doing.

Neither of us checked out BK before we went. In retrospect I'm surprised K didn't as she is quite hostile to any path not Christian in base - very critical of the Foundation down the road for instance. I'm glad I didn't. It might have got in the way of a really pleasant and helpful afternoon. Now I have checked and ... well, for me what I have read won't stop me going to their meditation course to be held in the Budhist Retreat Centre locally in September. I don't think it will stop me benefitting from it either. Further than that I shan't go. According to Wikki they believe in the coming Destruction during which most will perish and the Earth will renew itself populated only by the 900.000 Hindi speakers who will survive as gods and goddesses.

It was started as an all-female sect, the Daughters of Krishna, and even now there are few men involved. Chastity is considered necessary for purity of thought and the channelling process their meditation aspires to. Breaking away from the family is also recommended as a way to find the true soul self. We are not the identities that seem so important to us, mother, sister, artist, book seller, old, young, English, whatever. None of these define us. Finding our soul, which is existing beyond the distractions of the earthly is what we are here for. I have to say I don't follow last bit.. why leave the place in which we are only soul in order to find it again? Does the soul benefit from the experience on earthg? I'm sure I can find the answer somewhere..

As I've experienced in the past, the vessel doesn't always matter - it's what's inside that counts and the woman who spoke yesterday definately carried something profound and beautiful in herself.

It's worth a shot.

2 comments:

stitching and opinions said...

It is interesting to occasionally see and listen to what the Plinthers are presenting of themselves for public consumption.
I vary between fascination and dismissiveness.
I expect someone will get a PhD out of it.
I am not watching Big Brother this year, which leads to wondering why; [tho I do tune in for the nominations and eviction each week].
I think I am curious about people's motivations, including mine own.
I read a quote by Kenneth Tynan yesterday "A neurosis is a secret we don't know we are keeping"
Discovering more about ourselves is a never ending quest.
Sorry about the cliches, headache and imminent in-laws reduces my vocabulary.

carol said...

Would you be a plinther? I think I might if I felt I had Something to Say. It'd be a rush!

I love that Tynan quote by the bye!

I think you are a good listener - nobody likes talking to blotting paper, there has to be some interaction!

And the Never Ending Quest - it's going to be really dull once we get to the end of it!