18 Jul 2009

Booted up

I enjoyed the boot sale although boots were there none as it was peeing down with rain. Only the indoor mart was functioning. The first person I saw was the excellent mole-catching drum major who has the cleanest and best organised stall of the lot. We had a friendly exchange and I found several titles to buy, just for me really, amongst them 'How to Drink Wine out of Fish Heads While Cooking Lobster in a Volkswagon Hubcap' which will make an appropriate pressent for my son who has a VW van kitted out to take his surf boards, windsurfers and his sleeping body when overnighting somewhere. I also found, elsewhere, a Reginald Hill 1st ed. of a Dalzeil and Pascoe I haven't read and a couple of local books that will sit well on the shelves. There was quite a nice facsimile of 'The Beggar's Opera,' Dominic Behan's 'Life and Times of Spike Milligan' an Observers Book of Heraldry and so on, and so on. Disconcertingly, when I was half way round the stalls I was greeted with 'Oh you're the dealer. I've got some 1st editions here you'll like.' Yikes. No such thing as incognito in small towns. I didn't like his 1sts anyway. Too grubby and scuffed. And actually not 1sts either. I needed a bath when I got home.

No comments: