22 Apr 2008

Cross people.

Cross and snappy couple just in - probably cross with each other but taking it out on me. I don't like ordering books for people, especially in times of poor trade, because it's money going out of my account that takes time to get back in. Asking for the money up front is a way to get round this, although it often leads to trouble when the book turns out not to be in stock and I have to find another... This time I did ask for the cash and also added a bit for myself - £2. Not a big profit.
"So between you and the other seller this book is costing £5.50 more than it should then?"
"Not at all. The seller has to package and post it, and it looks like being a big book. I do have to ask for something to cover my time, the use of my bank card and phone calls."
'Well a phone call won't cost you that much and it hasn't taken you two minutes."
"You could order it yourself then to save having to pay me."
"I don't have a computer. Don't trust it. They can hack into your account you know. I'm not having that."
"Well that's the risk I am taking for you."
"Yes, but it's your business isn't it and you're getting a profit from me aren't you?"
"!"
I was speechless by this point. Eventually I unclenched my teeth far enough to ask him if he still wanted to order the book. Yes he did, so I ordered it, whilst he watched me mistrustfully. Then I had to repeat the bit about cash up front. Huffing loudly he dug in his pockets and brought out change which took ages to count. Then: "Well, are you going to give me a receipt then."
People are usually so grateful when I have ordered a book for them that they haven't been able to find anywhere else that they never think of asking for a receipt, but I wrote one with as much grace as I could muster. In the middle of all this the wife has barged past into Chloe's practice room (luckily she isn't working there today) ignoring the sign 'Back In Balance' on the door. When she found it didn't have books in she reacted as though it had been done deliberately to annoy her. Maybe she had wanted to go elsewhere for a cup of tea and been forced in here with her husband, although she didn't seem the sort to be forced anywhere.

And, oh dear, a boot has just opened on a car opposite the shop and a box appeared - I fear it is destined to come in here.....

No comments: