15 Apr 2008

Oh dear.

Oh dear, I think I have made an enemy - an immigrant too. He wanted a Rumanian-English dictionary, or Spanish-English. I don't have either at the moment - Nepalese, Russian, Scandinavian... but not what he wanted. He spent a while looking and came to me with a multilingual dic. which gives words in 17 languages and which I have priced at £7.50 Not unreasonable IMO and it's on Amazon so I'd checked out prices when I listed it. He told me crossly that new it would be £5. I told him politely it wouldn't. Actually it's not for sale on it's own when new; it goes along with a language course and a CD rom which I haven't got sadly but hey! - it's still a useful dictionary. I refused his offer of £1.50 and he stood over me quite aggressively. I looked it up, couldn't find exactly the same one but found one like it for which some numpty is asking £58.00 (No CD either.) It was a battle of wills for a while but eventually he growled something and left.

Oh dear. Maybe I should watch my back for a while.

Apart from that it's been a nice morning. David from Findhorn called in to see me on his way back from the docs. He's a very sweet elderly gentleman who once took Costa and Ben, aged 13 years at the time, extra food when they were camping across the bay. He always asked after both of them and is delighted they both have careers in watersports. Last time he was in he told me his life story and very interesting it was too; many year living in Africa during quite dangerous times. His wife must have been brave - she always egged him on apparently. OK here's a resolution for the next lifetime - lots of travel and adventure. Less need for security. No asthma!

I also had a visit from a young couple who found out about the shop from the Book & Magazine Collector. Thy live in LOndon but visit relatives in Huntley and like to trawl the bookshops. Now I have had to rethink my decision to stop being a B&M stockist. Their purchases more than justified the small expense of carrying 10 copies each month. It seems to be a time of making and changing decisions. I feel very schizophrenic. Maybe the various subpersonalities should have a pow wow.

No comments: