14 Apr 2008

Split personality.

Well now, I have just been offered 3000 Scottish books at £1500 or so. Whilst I don't have that much available thanks to the tax man (or my own stupidity I supose) and last week I was definately going to close the shop.... I find that old reflexes take some quitting. There should be a patch.

Crawford was in and I was blethering away to him about my inability to make decisions, pay taxes etc. In return he told me about a mate of his who set up a chip oil cleaning plant locally for people who want to fuel their cars with something other than petrol, for environmental reasons amongst others. The oil he takes from the chippies around the area was once dumped to the detriment of the environment. He processes it and sells it to folk for £1 a litre. The British government don't like this. They tax him 52p per litre and charge him for a licence to transport fuel (the cleaned chip oil which was once being dumped etc. etc.) The licence costs £3000 a year. Bleugh!

Other countries do not tax chip oil cleaned and sold this way. It makes absolutely no sense to do so when the alternative is having to find a safe place for the restaurants to get rid of it.

Make your teeth grit hearing this sort of nonsense.

The other teeth-gritting thing I heard over the weekend (nothing to do with books but hey... who cares?) Nick has a small scaley patch on his leg which has been called by the doc 'Bowen's Disease' and which is a pre-cancerous condition. He was advised to get an appointment with the consultant dermatologist in Inverness. Waiting time: three months. To get an appoitment in the only private hospital hereabouts (in Aberdeen) was also nearly that long. He phoned St.Luc in Brussels and could get an appointment within 10 days. Not private treatment - he could have been anyone. They had already arranged a visit to Brussels in May so were able to make an appointment to fall during their trip. What IS it with this stupid country? .

No comments: