27 Apr 2008

Ten Dollar Words

It’s a glorious day today and I should be out there enjoying it instead of sitting here in my ‘On Duty’ position. I long for freedom the rest of the week and when I have it what do I do? return like a homing pigeon to the place of safety.

One reason for this return to the roost is the need to get down some thoughts. I have just read “A Quiet Belief in Angels” by R J Ellory which I did not enjoy, not one bit. I hated it; longed to get to the end so I could forget all about it, but I have to admit that it was very, very well written. The protagonist is a real person to me; the people around him, and the terrible tragedies are real, that’s why I hated it. That’s why I read Harry Potter again and again, and Phil Rickman. The first is pure escapism into a world where events however awful generally work out for the best, and there are a lot of laughs along the way; lots of good friendship. The world of Phil Rickman is folklore, the occult, mysticism, taking me into places I am familiar with but where I only half believe what I find there. He also surrounds me with likeable, even loveable characters that make it all in the end, feel manageable, even a bit cosy.

I need that. Real life is frightening enough without adding to the nightmares.

What I did like was the phrase: ‘the ten dollar word.’ This is either a Georgian description or an American one, of a fancy-shmancy , probably multi-syllabled, word. I like it. I will spend the day thinking of ten dollar words like: prestidigitation; exculpate; defenestrate. Impressive words, nouns or verbs, adverbs or adjectives, that polish up dull sentences.

Spellcheck can’t handle ‘defenestrate.’ I wonder, can I come up with any more words spellcheck can’t handle?

No comments: