21 Aug 2008

Cat in the hat syndrome

The sun did not shine.
It was too wet to play.
So we sat in the house
All that cold, cold, wet day.

I sat there with Sally.
We sat there, we two.
And I said, "How I wish
We had something to do!"

Too wet to go out
And too cold to play ball.
So we sat in the house.
We did nothing at all.

So all we could do was to
Sit!
Sit!
Sit!
Sit!
And we did not like it.
Not one little bit.

The reason for this addition? Twofold. Firstly it is wet wet wet wet and I am sit sit sit sitting. Secondly the book came in recently and I can't get the jolly anapestic tetrameter out of my head. Everything thought is coming in on the same beat.

(None of the following will be written in it though.. too demanding making it make sense.)

I have forty vinyl Lp's and 60 EP's to sell now. They are taking a lot of time to sort, photograph and price before putting them in an ebay shop. Most are jazz and many are desirable (I'm fed up with the word collectable.) I wish I could play them, especially the Bessie Smith, but don't have the equiptment .

I also picked up a nice set of leatherbound Dickens, the complete works in 20 vols. I wasn't hopeful when offered them - too many Dickens around even in leather to be getting excited but these are handsome and I can decently ask a good price for them. They will grace a private collection somewhere. There was a 1st ed. of Cobbett's Rural Rides, half bound and a Yeats Folio Society. Altogether a good haul. The Austens were sadly faded and the Potter's (Beatrix) very tired. Evidently a family who loved their books though.

It is much more interesting when I can buy books. The discipline of holding back has been agony.

2 comments:

stitching and opinions said...

S has a thingy that lets him copy vinyl onto Cd, maybe some one else up there has one so you could copy them before ebaying

lesley said...

I've just spent a merry fifteen minutes googling meter. For reasons I don't understand I enjoyed my research. A question - don't you think Dr S was writing in slightly irregular anapestic dimeter ?