6 Aug 2008

Foot in mouth again.

Wet and chilly and empty of customers I have filled my morning doing what I KNOW I will regret - writing letters to the local paper. The devil makes work for idle hands. The first letter was in support of the West End Post Office (where I post my parcels daily) since the East End PO is now definately going to close and in the outcry the WE PO proprietor is getting upset about a comment or two made by thoughtless individuals, one of them a councillor. There was a skit that I remember from back in the day: A dour TV presenter speaking the Queen's English (as it was spoken then) translates the words of a Glaswegian(?) as he talks: 'E'er'a'peear'o'toon coonsillers' into: 'There are a couple of intellectuals.'

Now I understand why everyone laughed so hard.

The second was very inadvisably written in counterpoint to a ninny who wrote a letter last week declaring global warming to be an intergovernmental conspiracy and Al Gore's film to 'have started the hysteria.' This is topical at the moment because there is a big lobby against wind farms encroaching on the Highland wilderness. I really should stay out of this sort of debate as I have no grasp of statistics but there I go putting my foot in my mouth anyway. No doubt I shall get my just deserts shoved right in after.

No comments: