19 Aug 2008

Tracey Emin again

It took me a while to understand the Chillside post and even longer to tumble to the fact there was a pre-dated post added about TE. Doh! Not very bright-brained here yesterday.
It was an excellent piece of writing Chillside, and a good expression of your response to TE's work. Plenty of people seem to think she's 'important' but not many make a good case for just why she's important. I'm going to hold back any more personal responses until I've seen the exhibition in Edinburgh, but for the moment I have to say that it all sounds a bit passé to me. Stream of consciousness/women's angst/kitchen sink stuff might be newish in the world of tactile art but not in literature. Doris Lessing explored it all with intelligent perception, in a more measured way, in the Golden Notebook - even to the distasteful smell of her own menstrual blood. There were plenty of women's writings that added to that over the 70's & 80's and onward. The whole 'woman's world, woman's psyche' thing has been done. Self-expression and emoting on our messed-up lives is more or less accepted mainstream coffee-shop chat nowadays. I thought artists, who are generally seen as being in the van of current thought-forms, might have moved on a bit by now.

I wonder if TE will manage to change my mind?

1 comment:

stitching and opinions said...

angst never dies
reborn with each generation
sadly