1 Aug 2008

First edition.

A young mother of two (she looked about 18yrs) just came in for a variety of books ranging from 'The Rats of Nimh' to Steinbeck 'Of Mice and Men' ( a penchant for small rodents?) through Pratchet, with an amble into Dan Brown. I was touched to hear her list of requests because if I had passed her in the street I would have put her down as a TV & DVD sort of person who wouldn't have a single book in the house at all. Which just goes to show what a judgemental person I am and probably a literary snob to boot. ('To boot??' Must look that up..) Still she did have her limits. She wanted a replacement copy for her 'Romeo and Juliet' because she had lent hers to a friend and never got it back, which was a shame as it had been a first edition.

I gulped a bit but said not a word.

No comments: